We have been able to trace the history of Maplewood back into the 1770s. The house was originally built as a tavern by an innkeeper named Andrew Belcher. When built, Maplewood was of a different style with a hip roof and a massive central chimney. Early on, Maplewood had twenty rooms, four barns, and 700 acres of land. Mr. Belcher apparently passed the house to a Mr. Collins in 1797. Baptist church records show that the Baptist church was built in 1813 and until then rooms at the Belcher Tavern were rented for the purpose of holding Sunday services. These rental records go back to into and disappear in the 1770s.
By 1820 the house was acquired by John Talcot Mack who fought in the War of 1812 and hailed from the neighboring town of Middlefield. During the 1820s and 1830s, his home was the central meeting place on the "flats" as this area of town was then called.
In 1859, Colonel Lyman Payne purchased the home and it came to be called the Payne Homestead. The Colonel rebuilt the house for Mrs. Payne as she would not come from New York City and live in a tavern-turned house, farm-style home.
Col. Payne had the central chimney removed and changed to the popular style of homes in NYC at that time, a central hall bordered by twin chimneys on the front of the house. Mantles of marble were imported from Italy and a Paladin window installed in the upper front center of the house. Victorian trim was added under the eaves. The Colonel and his wife made the Payne Homestead into one of the foremost Morgan horse farms of the time.
Maplewood remained in the Payne family after the Civil War and into the early 1900s. By then, referred to as the Payne Place. The house then changed hands several times until Conrad Fischer purchased it during World War I. Fischer converted the building to an Inn once more, named The Berkshire Inn. During this ownership the former Rufus Tyler Tavern across the street was purchased to serve as annex to the Berkshire Inn. Subsequently a niece of Conrad Fischer, a Miss Roy, operated the Berkshire Inn as Roy Place.
In the 1950s the Maple Street Dairy operated here. Maplewood became a three family home owned by the George Turner family until 1984 when Bob & Charlotte Ballargeon purchased the home and began the current restoration.
The name of Maplewood was chosen after considering its many owners and their occupations. The name seemed to fit and Bob & Charlotte loved it. Maplewood had served as a tavern, a guest house, a boarding house, a horse farm, a dairy, an apartment house, their home, and once again serves as a haven for weary travelers.
The Inn was owned and operated by Bob & Charlotte Ballargeon from 1988 to 2016 when it was purchased by Christy & Stephen Suriner.